Prep time:1 hour
Cook time:25 mins
Total time:1 hour 25 mins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ pound unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup low-fat plain yogurt (or sour cream)
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Whisk together flour and baking powder in a medium sized bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add sugar and beat 3 minutes on high until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Slowly add the flour and baking powder mixture into the egg mixture, blending well.
- Then add yogurt, again mixing until blended. Fold in chocolate chips until blended throughout the dough.
- Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes. (This recipe may be made in advance and refrigerated overnight.)
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Filling a ⅓ cup measuring cup, make scones and form into round balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Then turn the oven down to 325 degrees and bake for 10-13 minutes more until lightly golden.